Monday, August 1, 2011

The Communist Manifesto: A Whole New World

Being interested in business, I’ve always admired capitalistic principles; Gordon Gekko's "Greed is Good" speech and I, Pencil are analogous to Schumpeter’s creative destruction and Adam Smith’s invisible hand. They are what shape a lot of the world order today and I love them. That is why I am also excited to step into a new world and read about communism, a term that has become so convoluted through many propaganda campaigns despite giving hope to half the world at one point.

Wow. What an intellectual gem. Marx is a genius. Many of the issues outlined in the manifesto are real today. For example,

[The Bourgeoisie] compels all nations, on pain of extinction, to adopt the bourgeois mode of production; it compels them to introduce what it calls civilisation into their midst, i.e., to become bourgeois themselves. In one word, it creates a world after its own image.

He was spot on of with this consequence and many others. My paradigm has certainly shifted and I am curious to learn more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment